Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Internet is a Weird Place

PSA: If you're unfamiliar with any of the links I provide in this post and you click them anyway, don't yell at me if you end up with a song stuck in your head that makes you homicidal or see a picture that either sends you into a saccharine induced fugue state repeating "awwwww how cute!" endlessly, or makes you want to scoop your eyes out with a spork. You've been warned!

Today I'm reading Making Light and I finish the comments on the recent post. After that I usually go and look over at the left hand sidebar where there are TNH's Particles and PNH's Sidelights - links to things they think are interesting. In Particles I see "Cows with Guns" and decide, what the heck and click.

This site has a song and animated cartoon. The song is about -- you guessed it, Cows with Guns. It's a rather catchy tune, unfortunately. You'll have it running through your head - at least the chorus - for some time. If you subjected yourself to this link, do any of you recognize the tune from a movie or something? It sounds vaguely familiar but I can't place it.

Anyway, the cows are drawn with udders - makes sense, cows have udders. The problem is that lyrics of the song refer to one of these uddered cows as "he" and "him" That strained my credibility a bit - which, if you read my last post, is kinda hard to strain. I'm kinda disappointed. This from a woman who accepts that nobody on any of the 7 (I think there were 7) Starships Enterprise ever seems to need to pee.

After viewing the cow video, and wishing there was a way to floss the song out of my brain as one would a nagging popcorn kernal from between one's teeth, I start to think about all the weird song sites I've been subjected to over the past couple of years.

There was Badger, Badger and the follow up song Banana Phone which is a speeded up version of a Raffi childrens' song set to the Badger animation (with a few new characters thrown in). My son subjected me to Badger Badger and alleged 'friends' on a forum introduced me to the insanity that is Banana Phone.

Then, thanks again to my son, I'm introduced to the very weird and somewhat disturbing "numa numa dance" I haven't quite forgiven him for that one. Listening to it is as bad as looking at Tron Guy, to whom I was cruelly subjected by my Significant Other.

(Hey, I warned you about these links - you click 'em, it's your curiosity getting the better of you!)

OK, I'm sorry. How about I make up for it by sharing some of my favorite "awwww" sites? Have you seen the pictures of the bunny with the food balanced on his head? Lest you wonder about the bunny, like, is it alive or is it stuffed, you can read the Wikipedia entry and decide for yourself.

Are you fond of cute cat and kitten pictures? If not, move along please.

Next (more about cats, I'm afraid - if you're a dog lover you'll just have to find your own cutesie links and post 'em on your blog) is Museum of Non Primate Art. This site is a beautifully crafted gag. There's a couple of tie in books as well. My favorite thing is that this gag site contains a page about 'spotting fakes' - with a quiz!

OK, enough of my silliness, I know what you all are *really* thinking about - today's Superbowl. I know that some of my dear friends are very disappointed and others will be tossing confetti at the Steelers victory parade tomorrow. Congrats or condolences as appropriate. I didn't see all the Superbowl ads (nor the halftime show nor most of the game). Thank goodness AOL has them all - and I never thought I'd be thanking goodness for AOL, ever. Some of these really are laugh out loud funny. The fourth quarter MacGyver Master Card ad is, as they say, priceless.

By the way, I finshed the last book in the series by Robert Sawyer that I mentioned in my previous post. Wow. Good stuff. Dense, deep, disturbing. I'm now reading Teresa Nielsen Hayden's Making Book. I'm just a couple stories in but loving it.

I won't be posting the AW Monday Meme here tomorrow - if you want to do the meme, please go to Absolute Write Water Cooler Blogging sub-forum and grab it!


,, , , , ,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot the squirrels that went Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! and the Yatta Song.

With all that nonsense in my head, it's a wonder I can find my way home at night. *L*

ohdawno said...

So, send me the links and I'll add them!! I'm not sure I've seen the squirrels that went Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! and the Yatta Song - but then I'm not sure in the shower whether I've lathered once or twice so I probably lather 3 times most mornings.

What were we talking about?

Anonymous said...

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Yatta!

Don't blame me.

ohdawno said...

Wheee doesn't have a link :-(
Yatta is, uh, amazing. How did I miss that one!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, sweetie. I'm sick and clearly I'm sucking more than usual. :?

http://www.threebrain.com/weeeeee.shtml