Monday, May 11, 2009

Remembering and Re-booting

I was nine years old when Star Trek first showed on TV. It was on at or past my bedtime, I think it was Thursday nights at 9 or 10:00 p.m. I do remember getting to see some episodes, maybe they were summer re-runs. It was generous of my parents to let me watch something they probably thought was grown-up Science Fiction. I think it's a true memory I have of watching "The Corbomite Maneuver" with seven year old Clint Howard and his Tranya.

In '68 we moved to Taiwan and there was no Star Trek showing there. Except at a school fair where someone had obtained, who knows how, recordings and were showing them in a classroom off of a tape machine and TV monitor set up. I must have stayed for hours.

We got back in 1970 so the show had been cancelled by then. Fortunately I'd begun collecting the novelizations, the first ones by James Blish which re-told all the episodes and then later stories by various authors. Some of the early ones were really bad, but I have them all. I particularly like the ones Diane Duane and Ann Crispin wrote about Spock and Vulcan/Vulcans.

I was ecstatic when Next Generation came on, I'd seen every movie as they came out, but I was ready for a weekly fix. I watched every new series faithfully, even Enterprise, though I did give up on Voyager for most of the middle, and only coming back to catch the last episodes of the last season.

So, I've been looking forward to the new movie, even though some have told me they thought I wouldn't like it as an older Trek fan. I'm here to say I loved it.  The actors did a fabulous job with the characters and the re-boot, no quibbles here. I hope this revitalizes the franchise with a whole new generation of Trek fans, I hope the studios have the actors signed and scripts written or being written for the next one.

Most of all, I hope I can take my grandchildren to a Trek convention some day.

4 comments:

KimberlyRies said...

I am going to see Star Trek next weekend. Like you, I watched the original as a child. It was a memory that I shared with my dad as he was a fan too!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I did leave a few beads behind for you when Rings and Things was in Louisville! LOL!

ohdawno said...

Hi Kimberly! Thanks for visiting and leaving me a few beads :-)

Lisa Crone said...

Yay, me too!! thought they did a great job!! I am a fan, but next generation was my fave. I do have the lunch box and enterprise phone! :)

ohdawno said...

Yeah, Lisa, liked most of TNG - first season is almost painful to re-watch, but I still do.

I have a Ken and Barbie (still in orig. box) in original series uniforms, a phaser or two, a couple of communicators & other misc. Trek stuff. Not sure why I bought all those dust catchers, really no place to put them, but fun to have, regardless.